How to Start a MIHOW Program
1. Complete Readiness Tool
The first step to establishing a MIHOW program at your agency is to complete the below tool. This Readiness Tool ensures that agencies meet the criteria which generally provide a good “home” for a MIHOW program.
Does the sponsoring agency...
- have a positive community image, particularly with low-income women?
- embrace the MIHOW approach to family support?
- serve individuals and families similar to potential MIHOW participants?
- value and integrate community health workers (or peer mentors) and members of the community?
- have the ability to provide training and supervision to MIHOW staff following the MIHOW Standards of Practice?
- serve a defined geographic area that includes an adequate number of potential MIHOW participants?
- have the administrative capacity to provide physical space, financial support, management, and long-term sustainability?
- respect and serve people regardless of religious, political, racial, sexual, or ethnic affiliation?
- have an active Board that represents the community and supports adoption of the MIHOW program?
- have the capacity to hire, train, and supervise at least one part-time outreach worker and participate in national, regional, and local MIHOW trainings?
2. Contact MIHOW Office
Email the MIHOW Office to start a discussion of how the MIHOW Program could work in your community and ask any questions.
3. Submit a Report
The report should document the criteria listed in the Readiness Tool. Please include:
- Description of agency’s services and programs
- Numbers of people currently served by agency
- Estimate of number of families to be served through the MIHOW program
- Description of the population served/to be served
- Description of diversity of staff and population served within the agency
- Maternal Child Health indicators for your area
- Examples of how you’ve already embraced the MIHOW Approach in existing services or programs.
- Description of how MIHOW will be a logical extension of and integrated into existing programs
- Statement that agency has reviewed the standards and agreement
- Copy of budget and sources of funding
- Description of how agency will address long-term sustainability
Include the following attachments to your report:
- Agency Brochure / Map of program area served
- Organizational chart / Agency’s personnel policy
- Letter from the Board stating support for the project
- Letters of support from other community agencies
Email the entire report to Tonya Elkins, fax it to 615-343-0325, or mail it to:
The MIHOW Program
Vanderbilt School of Nursing
1400 18th Ave. South, A-1
Nashville, TN 37212